Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Stories on this BLOG

Friday 13 January 2012

Christina Milian on 'The Voice,' Celebrity Parenthood, and Karaoke






I had the opportunity to speak to multi-talented pop performer Christina Milian during her first couple of weeks on the set ofThe Voice, NBC's wildly popular singing competition that pits both contestants and their celebrity judges against one another in a dramatic battle for vocal glory. 
She happily discussed her new TV gig, her fashion favorites, and her daughter's preference for tutus. She's as adorable as she sounds.


Kelly: Congratulations on your new role as social media correspondent for The Voice. Can you tell me a bit about what you'll be doing?
Well, this season I'm going to be the fun girl who gets to bring the entire thing together, [with] a lot of the behind the scenes footage — just the activity that's constantly going on backstage during the shooting of the show and anything that we do. It's making sure that the fans feel a part of what's going on, and being the informative girl who keeps everybody very much involved. I get to just be myself which is fun! And it's great, they chose me because I'm also a musician, and I've had hosting experience in the past, but mostly the difference is with me being a musician is I understand what's going on from every aspect. It makes a lot of sense, I'm already having fun.


Who did you root for last season?
You know, I didn't even get to the point where I got to see the whole season last year. I definitely watched the blind audition, and I saw part of the battle round but I didn't even really know how the show went until I got involved this season. It's kind of exciting and fresh for me being that I'm just starting with them. So yeah, I know that Adam did a great job last year, but I'm totally not picking anybody yet! It's all going to be about the talent at the end of the day. No matter what the coaches bring to the table, it's up to the artists on their team to really kick some butt.


You're already an active Tweeter—I saw you tweeted from a tooth cleaning recently. Do you ever worry about sharing too much?
That's so funny, we were talking about that this morning. Not so much. I really don't tweet as much as some people that I know. 
I think I've been very careful with it, or else I just share whatever I feel at the moment. I'm not really stuck on, like, 'I have to write every ten seconds on Twitter because I want 30,000 tweets!' No. (laughs)

Do you have a favorite celebrity Twitter to follow?

Ooh, there are a couple of them. I do love Rev Run, he has a great one, it's always inspirational.
You know who I like? Puff. He puts some good quotes, he promotes himself sometimes, but you don't feel like he's doing that all day. He really is always updating it. So, I like the stuff he puts on there, he looks like he's having fun.

Christina+Milian in Christina Milian Shops With Her DaughterYou always look so put-together at red carpet events. Describe your personal style.
I describe my style as "girl on the go." It transcends from daytime to nighttime, 'cause I've always got to be prepared. It's colorful, vibrant, it's affordable, sexy...but you know, some of it's not that affordable (laughs). I'll find, say, a pair of shoes and build my outfit around that pair of shoes. Chic, young, trendy with a classic vibe to it, and just comfortable, and sexy always. I've always got to have some sex appeal.

I noticed you had some pretty sexy red platform pumps on recently.


Those are my Sam Edelman shoes, which I love. I've kind of gone on the hunt for red shoes. I kinda want to make them my staple. But those shoes were the beginning of it, and they stand out and I love them to death.


Do you remember what the first designer item you bought was?
It was Louis Vuitton, and I believe...actually no someone got them for me as a gift (laughs). It was the first designer item that I ever got, but the first thing I ever bought [for myself] was probably a pair of Roberto Cavalli thigh-high boots. They were pretty hot, leather with these beautiful gray stones on it.


Whose style do you admire?
I love Kanye West, Rihanna... they just have this natural ability to be sexy and wear stuff that's dark. It has a slight mystery, but it's fun, it just feels free. Those are two of my favorites when it comes to fashion.

Christina+Milian in Christina Milian at KatsuyaThere are a lot of musical artists these days who just aren't wearing pants. Would you ever leave the house in a leotard?
Yeah, I definitely would try, if my mom would let me(laughs). It's so funny 'cause I'll try to wear stuff sometimes, and I'll go to approve it with her, and she's like, 'What are you thinking?' and I'll want to dispute it with her 'cause I really didn't want to know her opinion. So, that sounds like something I would actually do, but I haven't done it yet. I've worn really, really short shorts to the point where they could be leotards, but I think it's hot. If you can rock it and feel comfortable in it, go for it!


After your daughter was born, did you feel pressure to get back into shape quickly?


Slightly. I kind of pushed myself, thinking, 'Okay, what am I going to look like after I have the baby? What's my body going to be like?' After I had her, it's crazy, I didn't really have to try that hard. The first 24 pounds was water weight and I lost that within the first month, but then after that it was the remaining 21 pounds or something, and that I had to work hard on. 

Even when I thought I was only 10 pounds away and I was ready to meet with executives in Hollywood, [one of them] was like, "So, is she planning on losing the rest of the baby weight?' So it's 2 months after I had a baby, too, and I was like, 'Duh. Yeah. Hello.' So I kind of took a break from even having meetings and going to anything, [even] auditions, [and] just worked hard on eating right. I mean, it's dog-eat-dog when it comes to Hollywood, and it's not like it surprised me. I wasn't terribly hard on myself because I knew I would be okay, I'd get back into shape. Luckily I've worked out for so long in my life the muscle memory went back to where it needed to be.

I'm so off and on when it comes to training. I try to keep a healthy lifestyle, when I get the time. It's kind of hard with the baby, and going to the studio and working. When I see myself getting slightly getting out of shape, I start hitting the gym and running the treadmill, or else I go to the mountains and go hiking up here in the canyons, and do some outdoor activity where I can talk to my girlfriends and get something done at the same time.

Christina+Milian in 2011 Jenesse Silver Rose Auction And Gala - ArrivalsYour daughter Violet is still really young, but does she pick out her own clothes?


Actually, she just yesterday picked out what she was going to wear for school. We have a Mommy & Me class that we go to once a week, and she picked out this bright green tutu and I built the outfit around it. But she was in the closet and we were walking through, picking out what she was going to wear, and she was like, 'Wooah! Wooah!' at the green skirt, so I was like, 'Oh, she picked that one.' I know soon enough it's going to be an actual real opinion.

Does she like music?
Oh she loves music. I even have her own little playlist on my iPod that plays in my car, and she has Justin [Bieber's] song "Baby," she has "Who Let the Dogs Out"... I put a little Jackson 5 on there, but she's not crazy about that yet. And then she also likes Ne-Yo and Pitbull's song (sings "Give Me Everything"), whenever it comes on in the car she puts her hands up in the air singing, it's so cute.


Do you think she might have a career in music?
You know, it's crazy, she already has perfect pitch—she knows how to hit all the right notes, whether she's singing ABCs or the melody of Sesame Street or something, she sings it exactly how the melody sounds, and she loves to dance. Honestly, in her real life she's a little performer and she loves to entertain people. So it wouldn't surprise me if she did want to do that someday.


I hear you're working on a new album...
We're definitely working on it right now. It took a while to find my sound, but not only that, we're working out some business stuff. Moving forward, I'm really excited. I'm hoping [later in 2012] I can make some good announcements to everybody. But otherwise, in the studio, yeah I'm still doing my thing, still writing, still working on my stuff and working on other people's stuff. 
I just usually like to have a goal set, like saying, 'Okay. I need to put out a single by March 2012. I'm with this label, everybody, are we on the same page?' It's like going to battle, finding a freaking song. So right now, I'm definitely zoned in on finding that song. 

Christina+Milian in Christina Milian and Daughter at the ZooWhat's your favorite thing to do on a day off?
I like to take Violet to the movies. I took her to the zoo the other day. If I have time off, I definitely want to do stuff with my daughter. Even house stuff, like the other day I was painting her room, going to Home Depot. Doing things to the house. Or going to my girlfriend's house and having some wine. If i know if there's maybe a half a day that's free or if my nanny is watching the baby, I go to my girlfriend's house and have a drink and chat about boys. I mean not boys, men. (laughs)

What's your karaoke jam?
It's funny, I really actually don't like karaoke (laughs). I don't like it because everyone's expectations of me are to go up and sing the most serious song, but I really just want to sing something dumb and fun. You know, like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" or "Bohemian Rhapsody," or just Salt 'N' Pepa or Sir Mix a Lot. Fun stuff. People get all quiet when I get up there, and it's like, 'Come on, this is supposed to be fun. I'm not singing "Hero."'

No comments:

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives